July 27, 2005

EXTREME DIVORCE


An Indiana woman is trying to get a paycheck for hours of work she did as a wife. She's divorcing her husband and said she's sending him a bill for almost $500,000 for housework she says she did and kept track of over the years. After five years of marriage to Gary Thompson, Kathy said she's trying to be reasonable. She's filing for divorce, but isn't asking for a normal alimony payment. Kathy has drawn up an itemized bill with what she believes Gary owes her. The itemized bill includes such charges:

$42,000--cleaning 
$35,200--cooking 
$17,600--laundry 
$1,200--yardwork 

Kathy doesn't think she'll actually get the $500,000 she's asking for. "It's not about the money. It's about standing up for women's rights and the respect they deserve and their duties around the house," Kathy said. "I know there's men that work hard too, but a woman doesn't get a day to take a break."


Michelle's Opinion

First of all, this is the most ludacris thing I have ever heard. I understand Kathy's plight of being annoyed and pissed at her husband for not doing his share of the household responsibilities. However, I don't understand her level of idiocy.

Here are my thoughts:

1. Hey Kathy listen up! Did you know it's 2005? Do you really expect a man to get you through life financially? When you hear talk about social security, do you rely on the fact that your money will be there when you retire? NO. You put aside money on your own and reiterate to yourself how you won't let the government screw you over in the end. Same concept here.

2. Unfortunately, the likelihood of divorce is almost inevitable these days. This woman is calling it quits after 5 years with no children. Did you think those vows didn't apply to you? You want compensation?! I would consider alimony a plausible argument if I were talking about a mother of 3 and 25 years of marriage. However, those are the women of the past. Did you know that today's world gives women the opportunity to do it themselves? These last 20-30 years have been like no other time in history for women. I'm sure you will manage just fine, Kathy.

3. Kathy, it's women like you who give the rest of us a bad name. I despise it when men throw the word "psycho bitch" around. It's degrading and disrespectful. And it doesn't apply to a lot of us...some of us are reasonable human beings. Cut your losses and walk away.

4. I am not a hypocrite for stating my opinion in this matter. I too was married for 5 years to a slob who never did his fair share. I walked away with nothing. And I didn't expect a dime. And why should I? I'm not handicapped or dying.  JS!



No comments: