July 28, 2005

Indianapolis Authorities to Crackdown on Curfew Law

CRACKDOWN ON CURFEW LAW

Looks like Indianapolis is finally doing something about the curfew law. It only took five youths younger than 16 to die in shooting related incidents since June 10 for the Indianapolis Police Department to do something about it. Most recently the death of a 15 year-old boy who was egging cars on Sunday night after 11:00 p.m.

Officers said they will conduct sweeps in some areas, checking the IDs of those they suspect of being underage. Violators may be detained at a holding area until parents or guardians can be contacted to take them home.



Michelle's Opinion


Back in the late 80's and early 90's when I was in high school living in Racine, Wisconsin (which is notorious for gang activity and other serious crimes) the LAW was that NO MINOR could be out after 11:00 on ANY day. It was strictly enforced. I remember freinds getting caught by the cops and getting tickets. Being out past curfew wasn't something you flaunted by running the streets...it was too easy to get busted.


In addition, what is wrong with these parents allowing their children to roam the streets at all hours of the night? My parents were always concerned about where I was going, when I would be home and who I was with. Of course I would sometimes lie about what I was doing, but at least my parents had the sense to set some ground rules. It doesn't sound like the parents in Indianapolis are doing their jobs as parents by caring for the welfare and safety of their children by imposing rules and consequences. What happened to the parents of the past?


Remember that old commercial, "It's 11:00 p.m...do you know where your child is?" I used to laugh at that, but now it's oh-so-true.


WAKE UP PARENTS! BE A RESPONSIBLE PARENT. IT IS A GIFT, NOT A PRIVILEGE!



No comments: